"Sabayon is an Italian dessert made with egg yolks, sugar, a sweet liquor (usually Marsala wine), and sometimes cream or whole eggs. It is a very light custard, which has been whipped to incorporate a large amount of air."
Sabayon Linux is an operating system powered by the Linux kernel and GNU. There are many Linux flavors, but most geeks just call them distributions. We are a Linux distribution, though, and try to provide our users the best and most complete computing experience.
Our philosophy follows two simple statements:
A) OOTB (out of the box) Functionalities: There should be no problems and everything should "just work."
B) KISS: Keep It Simple Stupid!
Moreover, to achieve this, Sabayon Linux uses Gentoo Linux as its base. It is (and always will be) 100% compatible with it. We are one of the most scalable distributions and are happy to support everyone from the most creative kernel hacker to the newbie. How? Because of point A above, and because Gentoo Linux is THE most extensible Linux distribution, no one can say anything to the contrary.
* It is NOT a binary-only distribution. Yes, you can install Sabayon Linux in half an hour and have a powerful desktop under your hands. But, our current policy does not support the idea to fork Gentoo Linux package management because users don't like to waste time compiling. We have a clear idea; if you don't want to compile a lot of packages just wait for the next release, because you always be able to:
o Update your current installation to the latest Sabayon Linux by running the Sabayon Linux installer and choosing the Upgrade option
o Keep up to date, Sabayon Linux release cycles are very, very short. If you just want to keep your PC secure, just use the glsa-check utility.
* It is NOT developed with politics in mind. This means that if we like an application over another, it's just because it could work better and be closer to our OOTB philosophy described above.
* It is NOT company-driven. We have always been users, and then developers. That's our power and our view. We only want something that works without Microsoft and their superficial operating system implementation!
* It is NOT Ubuntu! We don't try to mimic any other distribution, we just take the best from each one.
* Sabayon offers a complete out-of-the-box experience, it comes with pre-installed media codecs, drivers, and games.
* New versions are released in a short amount of time. This means that you don't have to go through the headaches of updating by hand to the latest and greatest software available. Also, you don't have to fiddle around with updates, making this distribution that much easier.
* Unlike most other distributions, it's completely independent from commercial interests. No big firm stands behind Sabayon Linux and dictates what it should do. The developers of Sabayon Linux are all users from other Distributions, so they started to make a distribution "from users for users".
Click here to go to their official website.
All donations go towards the expansion project of Linux Freedom